The Quire was founded as part of the gay choral movement, which endeavored to bring LGBTQ+ folks together in safe, affirming spaces to find community and to share music together. In doing so, they also created opportunities to perform in public — making both their identities and their messages a tool for change and justice. With that in mind, The Quire continues to operate with accessibility in mind and with focus on community-building in support of choral excellence, rather than a sacrifice of one for the other.
As part of The Quire’s effort, only a few simple steps are needed to join:
- Attend one of the first three rehearsals of any session. (Sessions [i.e. “semesters”], are the months The Quire is rehearsing in preparation for the next concert.) Sessions usually begin in September and January, but dates and location information are available on our calendar.
- Sign up with our Membership Committee Chair or email email@example.com with your contact information — information on this will be provided at each of the rehearsals.
- Attend the New Member Orientation class, which will highlight the processes of The Quire, our expectations, schedule, and general vibe. This is typically scheduled the Saturday prior to the fourth rehearsal of any session.
- Some financial commitment, at whatever level is comfortable to you. While The Quire does have a dues structure — which more information is available during Orientation or by request — we do not make membership contingent on financial means.
Things that are not required to participate in The Quire:
- An audition
- Ability to read music
- Experience with other musical groups
- Financial means for costly dues, concert attire, or touring costs
- An LGBTQ+ identity
Note: While none of these is a requirement, each of these things can assist in your experience of The Quire, and we invite you to talk with our staff or other Members about how they navigate these topics. And, as The Quire was founded for LGBTQ+ folks, we do center and prioritize the identities of those most marginalized among our communities, specifically transgender and nonbinary people of color, queer people of color, neurodiverse queer people, and more. This means some who don’t share those identities may not feel their voice is prioritized or heard as loudly as they are used to in a space, and we encourage folks to reach out to our Board or Artistic Team with those concerns and feedback.
The next session starts January 12th
Open Rehearsals for Spring/Summer 2020 Session are January 12th, 19th, and 26th — 6:00 – 8:30 PM at Zion Lutheran Church (310 N. Johnson Iowa City, IA 52245). This information can also be accessed via the Facebook event.
Upcoming Musical Opportunities
The Quire presents a variety of musical opportunities each session. We are always looking to collaborate with composers, musicians, dancers, and more. Below is a list of The Quire’s upcoming musical focus:
Bayard Rustin: The Man Behind the Dream
This work highlights Bayard Rustin, the civil rights leader who was Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s contemporary during some of the formative years and subsequent major milestones of the Civil Rights Movement. Due to his unapologetic identity as a gay man, however, Bayard Rustin was pushed from the movement and the subsequent retelling of history. This magnificent work highlights a major character in US civil rights history and LGBTQ+ history. For more information, check out the website featuring the work: https://bayardthemanthedream.org/
The Quire will be rehearsing this work starting at our Jan 12th rehearsal and will be wrapping up the performances of these pieces by March. Folks who wish to join us just for this musical tribute to this visionary leader are welcome to join us just through this time in our season. As this piece highlights a civil rights leader, The Quire is especially encouraging of those in our community who want to lift up the telling of this powerful story of black excellence and the fight for justice. We encourage those interested in participating to reach out to info[at]thequire.org for more information.
In celebration of The Quire’s 25th Anniversary, we will be presenting a 25th Anniversary Concert extravaganza! With music that will span across our 25 years, highlights of previous directors, and stories shared by past members, the headline event will be the world premier of The Quire’s 25th Anniversary commemorative commissioned work! Details will continue to be available, but if celebrating 25 years of The Quire sounds like something you are interested in, reach out today!
Interested in supporting The Quire to help us continue for another 25 years? Visit our support page for more information or head directly to the donate button below!